What is going on in Hong Kong protest? I am from Mainland China. Our government says it is a riot and protesters are trying to split Hong Kong from the Mainland. I really doubt if the statement is true.
Basically, in short bullet point form:
- Asshole kills girlfriend in Taiwan, makes it back to HK before Taiwanese authorities can catch him.
- Asshole admits to crime after being arrested for credit card fraud.
- HKSAR Gov. can’t do anything to punish him for murder as the crime itself wasn’t in HK. Crimes must be committed in HK to be persecuted under HK basic law.
- Solution: extradition bill. As Taiwan is part of China per both the ROC and the PRC, Mainland China has to be included in the bill.
- Government tries to ram the bill through the Legco without consulting the Pan-Dems who can and did deadlock it.
- Pan-Dems rally the people against it because of legitimate concerns about certain safeguard measures against the bill.
- Massive protests, mostly peaceful, but some minor clashes with police.
- More protests. Could be called a riot at this point as some hot-headed idiots do fight the police. Also a few cases of police being heavy-handed.
- Legco building stormed, looted and vandalized. Police don’t stop them to avoid being deemed heavy-handed.
- Carrie Lam announced bill is “dead”. Most protestors bugger off back to regular life. But not a legal term so some protestors keep protesting for her to completely withdraw the bill. (My opinion: completely unreasonable, as we still have to deal with the original murdering asshole)
- More protests. Mostly young people with nothing to do.
- Yuen Long station, local triads/villagers beat up random people. More outrage against pro-Beijing.
- Even more protests. Now it’s turning violent. Bricks, corrosive drain cleaner, Motolov cocktails, spears are all being used. Definitely a riot. Some idiot tried to make an IED too. Lasers being shone into Police’s eyes which can blind them.
- More protests.
- Now as of the 13th of August. They recently occupied the airport for “international attention”.
- Minor persistent protestor elements have also continued rioting. Future is uncertain. It’s pretty important to note a large number of those still protesting right now are rioters, and vehemently anti-China. This extends to some being the “FUCK CHINA LET’S SEPARATE” kind of idiots who have little understanding of either the economy or geopolitics. Thankfully they’re idiots with little power other than to harass old men.
So in even shorter form; what Mainland media is saying is, by and large, true, if only overly simplified to condense a long and strange period of time, except that most rioters are also separatists. A number of them are, but I doubt it’s the overwhelming majority.